Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Baseball Superstitions are Bullshit

Baseball players are notoriously some of the world's most superstitious people. They won't change their socks during hitting streaks and some perform gut wrenching rituals before each pitch of their at bat (early 2000 Nomar is my best example of that). But the most un-understandable baseball superstition comes from those not involved in the game: the perfect game/no hitter gag order.

The fact that those watching the game at home/in the stands/shitfaced at a bar or announcing the game for those people are chastised for pointing out that a pitcher is perfect through ___ or is no hitting whatever team absolutely infuriates me. The notion that when some drunk on a bar stool at his favorite watering hole points out a FACT the game is somehow adversely affected by way of a voodoo jinx of the baseball gods is the biggest load of shit I have ever heard. I can't even start to wrap my brain around this. This stems how the players, who are actually involved in the game, act while they are a part of this pitching marvel. Players often don't talk to the pitcher and if they do by no means do they talk about his perfection. This makes sense to me. It is easiest to do your job when it is just another day at work, not when there is enormous amounts of extra pressure on you. The pitchers are not idiots, they know they are throwing perfect games but I do believe its best to just treat it like any other inning. The goal in any inning is in fact to achieve 3 outs without allowing a runner to reach base therefore their approach should not change. Throw strikes and count on your defense.

This tirade of mine stems from a text I sent to a friend yesterday as Mark Buehrle had achieved perfection through 4 innings. This just after he throw the 18th perfect game of all time in his previous start. A STAGGERING FEAT! I had to make sure my friend was aware of what was going on. I texted both the spy and another friend. The spy obviously was not aware but was interested and I assume began checking box scores or something to that effect to see if it was possible he throw a 2nd consecutive perfect game. The second response I received was the one that set me off. It read: SHHHHHH, but I know. It's not my friend that I'm mad at. Its the general baseball public for making him feel obligated to hush my enthusiasm for the possible piece of history going on in front of our eyes. Could Mark Buehrle read my text to him? Didn't think so. I'm done with this myth. I will make it my mission to point out every single no hitter and perfect game through at least 4 or 5 innings that I can.

One last thing: Buerhle was joking with teammates in the dugout during his perfect game. And yesterday when he broke the consecutive outs record while still maintaining perfection he was laughing on the mound. Not because it was a joke but because he broke teammate Bobby Jenks' record. He knew what was going on and so did everyone else around. So THANK YOU Mark Buehrle: for not buying into this farce of a superstition.

-I'm going to do a rain dance now so it won't rain on my commute home

No comments:

Post a Comment